Mastering the skill of Networking can help you land a dream job, be an influencer, and become close with the leaders in your niche.
Have you ever thought of building a network of people? Ever thought working for building a good online reputation? If yes, this post is specially written for you.
1. Good Networkers believe in quality over quantity.
You need to develop deep relationships with people even after knowing the fact that you are simply networking.
The only way to build connections is by being open and interested in other people. You need to forget three words when you wish to know others – “I, Me and Myself“.
2. Be Giving.
Believe in providing value to others. Try to influence other people, change their ways and try to help others in such a way that they upgrade. Bring in change, do not follow traditional patterns.
When someone asks for help go out of your way to help them out. Don’t be selfish. Never promise if you can’t deliver. If you make false promises you will never build a strong network which will be of no use to you.
Those who believe in helping others without worrying of what they will get in return surely acquire a huge followers list. People will always be grateful if you help them with their worst issues.
3. Connect the Dots.
Share your network with others. For example: If you have a friend who is looking for an expert in SEO. If you are not an expert in SEO so refer your friends who are expert in SEO to your friend who needs their help.
By doing this you are connecting people. This gives an impression that you know everyone. And makes you a good networker.
People with friends attract friends. That’s how the game is played.
“Knowing the right people can get you places that you might not reach otherwise.”
4. Use social media To Build A Network.
Here’s how to make the most of the social networking to expand your network.
- LinkedIn – Search for people with similar interests and skills. Engage in groups that interest you. Encourage your connections to write recommendations for you by writing recommendations for them. I am going to start doing this and will update this post with the results soon.
Also Read: How To Use Linkedin To Promote Your Blog
- Facebook – Don’t just focus on increasing your friends list. Facebook is about having connection people. You just can’t add unknown people to your friends list. Even if you do so, try to take some time out to know something about them.
- Twitter – This one is my favorite and the most effective social media site. Tweet relevant matter which you find interesting. And you should remember that your tweets should reflect your likes and dislikes. Follow relevant people and reply to their tweets regularly. This might make you known to them.
Also Read: How To Get The Most Out Of Twitter
5. Do the best to contribute online.
If you want to become famous online start going beyond social networking.
Create a website and showcase your talents there. Share your resume and past projects. Or else start a blog and write about whatever you’re interested in. Do not forget to promote yourself and your work on your website or blog.
Write guest posts for known websites. Many bloggers will be happy to have you as a guest author as they will have less work for them. You can ask for a link back to your website. In the guest post, try promoting yourself or try showcasing your skills.
Participate in forums and do your best to answer the question or discuss topics which are related to your field.
6. Follow up.
What does Follow up mean? Following up means keeping up with the person you met or got connected.
For example: When you connect with someone on LinkedIn, send them an e-mail and ask about their industry and interests. Share your articles with them and discuss something related to it.
If you are geographically closer try to meet them in person. Just keep following up and don’t lose the connection over time.
Over to You!
I gained readership on my blog by using the above mentioned ways to build a network. Know more about secrets of networking on social media on my blog. What tactics you use to connect with people and how do you manage your connections? I look forward to read your story in the comments section.
Always remember this African Proverb: “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with others.”
Photo Credit: Rohan Chaubey, quoteimg.com.